1/4 cup sunflower oil,
1/2 medium onion, chopped,
3 garlic cloves, chopped,
2 stalks celery, chopped,
1 carrot, diced,
1 red bell pepper, chopped,
2 cans (13 oz. each) black beans,
1 can (13 oz.) diced tomato,
500 ml. tomato passata (strained tomato),
1 bay leave,
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder,
1 teaspoon chili flakes,
1 teaspoon smoked paprika,
1 tablespoon chili seasoning (or to taste),
1 heaping tablespoon of sugar,
salt to taste (if needed),
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese product.
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan and saute the garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
2. Add the diced carrot, celery and red pepper and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir often.
3. Add the black beans without the liquid, and the seasonings without the sugar.
4. After 2 minutes add the diced tomatoes and the passata.
5. Stir well, cover with a lod and simmer for about 25 minutes while stirring occasionally.
6. Add the sugar to the vegetarian chili 5 minutes before it is ready.
7. When the chili is ready remove it from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
8. Serve the vegetarian chili in bowls and top with some shredded cheese. Enjoy.