1 four-to-five pound eye of round beef roast,
1 teaspoon kibbeh spice mix,
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin,
1/2 teaspoon salt,
1/2 teaspoon paprika,
2 stalks of celery
1/2 cup Middle Eastern pickled beets or turnips,
sliced purple onion,
10 pita breads (8-inch) or more.
Ingredients for Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup strained yogurt or labneh
- Rub the eye of round with the kibbeh spice mix, ground cumin, salt and paprika, and let it sit in a refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes to marinate. Kibbeh spice mix can be obtained from a Middle Eastern grocery stores.
- Add a cup of water, the carrot, onion and celery to a roasting pan with the beef, preheat the oven to 400 F and just brown the top of the beef. After that, reduce the heat to 300 F, cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and cook for a couple of hours or until the eye of round roast is tender and internal temperature is at least 178 F.
- Let the roast beef rest for about 10 minutes before you slice it thinly to strips. You should have enough meat for at least 15-20 beef shawarmas.
- In the meantime mix the ingredients for the garlic sauce.
- Spread some garlic sauce on the pitas and add your vegetables. Top with 3 oz. of sliced beef per pita and close the ends of the pitas so they can still slightly overlap.
- Use a panini press to grill the outside of the beef shawarma pita wraps to the desired doneness.