2, six-ounce each, chicken breasts,
1 teaspoon kibbeh spice mix,
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin,
1/2 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon white vinegar,
1/2 teaspoon paprika,
1/2 cup Middle Eastern pickled beets or turnips,
sliced purple onion,
4 pita breads (8-inch)
Ingredients for Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup strained yogurt or labneh
- Mix the chicken breasts with the kibbeh spice mix, ground cumin, salt, vinegar and paprika in a mixing bowl and let them sit in a refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes to marinate. Kibbeh spice mix can be obtained from a Middle Eastern grocery store.
- Bake the chicken breasts in a preheated oven at 325 F for about 30 minutes or until ready. Internal temperature should be 175 F.
- Let the chicken breasts rest for about 10 minutes before you slice them thinly on strips.
- In the meantime mix the ingredients for the garlic sauce.
- Spread some garlic sauce on the 4 pitas and add your vegetables. Top with 3 oz. of sliced chicken per pita and close the ends of the pitas so they can still slightly overlap.
- Use a panini press to grill the outside of the chicken shawarma pita wraps to the desired doneness.