This is a recipe for a veggie burger made with black beans, and is suitable for vegetarians who consume eggs.
Two 8 oz. cans of black beans or the same amount of boiled beans,
1/2 cup bread crumbs,
1 teaspoon smoked paprika,
1 teaspoon natural smoke essence,
1 oz. instant oatmeal,
salt and pepper to taste,
1 tablespoon chopped green onion,
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Boil the black beans and strain them. If using canned beans, drain the liquid and place the beans in a food processor. Process them until they are pasty. Alternatively, you can mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Form burger patties. You should have enough mixture to form 6 veggie burgers.
- If using a convection oven you can place the veggie burger patties on parchment paper, or use aluminum foil for a conventional oven. Bake for about 8 minutes on each side at 375 F, or until cooked through.
- At this point you can either use the veggie burger patties, or you can grill them briefly in order to give them some nice grill marks. That’s your choice. The veggie burgers will taste like grilled because of the smike essence, so grilling them is not required.
I served my veggie burger from the photo above with tomato, pickle, lettuce, mayo and pickled candied red onions in a sesame bun. Enjoy.