Ingredients for 4 appetizers:
20 large escargots from a can,
20 small mushrooms, stems removed,
3 tablespoons butter,
3 garlic cloves, chopped,
1 oz. white wine,
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley,
1/4 cup grated mozzarella,
chopped chives or lemongrass (optional),
salt and pepper to taste.
This escargot recipe is similar to the Escargots à la Bourguignonne recipe with the major difference of using mushroom cups for serving it instead of the snail shells.
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy pan and saute the garlic for 1 or 2 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and the escargot and cook until the mushrooms are soft.
3. Deglaze with the white wine and add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve the escargots in the mushroom cups, top each one with a little grated mozzarella cheese and drizzle the butter-garlic sauce from the pan over the escargots.
5. Broil each bowl under the broiler briefly until the cheese is fully melted and serve with garlic bread.
Did you know that some people consider the escargot as seafood, therefore suitable for vegetarians?