Gnocchi are potato pasta noodles, but they usually contain some wheat flour and egg, too. Some people believe that the gnocchi are healthier than the regular pasta noodles. This can be true only if you made your own gnocchi from scratch. But healthier or not, gnocchi are definitely wonderful and tasty with their fluffy texture and the ability to absorb flavors, something like a flavor explosions.
1. Boil the gnocchi according to package instructions.
I usually boil them for 3 minutes after they rise to the surface of the boiling water, or about 5 minutes altogether.
You can boil them less, if you prefer al dente.
2. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan and saute the garlic, bell pepper and onion for 3 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef and brown it for a few minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook the sauce for about 5 minutes more over medium heat, until the tomatoes are very soft.
5. Add the tomato paste and the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
6. Season the sauce to taste with sea salt and pepper.
7. Simmer the gnocchi sauce over low heat for a few minutes and add the boiled and strained gnocchi.
8. Toss well to coat all the gnocchi with the meat sauce, and serve immediately.
If you want to know how to make your own fresh gnocchi from scratch, check my recipe here.