1. Heat the butter in a medium frying pan and sauté the onion.
2. Add the diced smoked salmon, and after 1 minute add the vodka, while keeping your face at a safe distance, just in case the pan catches fire.
3. Add the pomodoro sauce, the cream and the capers, and reduce the sauce to almost half.
4. In the meantime, boil the penne according to package instructions and toss it with the sauce.
5. Toss well in order to coat the pasta with the sauce.
6. Taste, and if needed add some salt before serving.
7. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.
8. Garnish with the salmon roe and fresh thyme.
Tip: Fresh, diced salmon filet works perfectly for this recipe, in place of smoked salmon.
This recipe will taste fine even if you skip the vodka, or just have the vodka "on the side".
By the way, I used to order all kinds of cooking alcohols and they were much cheaper than buying them from the liqueor store. If you are Chef in a restaurant, or the owner, it is worth it to research this online, especially if you use a lot of coffee liqueor for tiramisu, vodka for vodka sauce, etc.