1. In a glass of lukewarm water dissolve the sugar and stir in the yeast.
Check the yeast package instructions before that and follow them, if they are different from my recipe. For example, if you are using instant years, you may not need to follow step 1 and step 2.
2. Wait for about 10 minutes until the yeast blooms, then pour it in a mixer bowl.
3. Add the flour, salt, olive oil and water and knead with the dough mixer hook or by hand for about 8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pull away from the side of the bowl.
4. Grease a large bowl with the oil and put the dough, cover with a clean towel.
5. Put the dough in a warm place and wait for about an hour, until the dough doubles in size.
6. After that punch the dough down and form it into 2 loaves.
7. Mix the cornmeal with little flour and sprinkle on your kitchen table.
8. Place the two loaves on the cornmeal mixture and cover them with the towel.
9. Wait until they double in size again.
10. Grease a baking tray and place the loaves on it.
11. Bake the Italian bread in a preheated oven at medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crusty.
12. Let the Italian bread cool down on a rack.