1. Over medium-low heat, in a large stock pot, heat olive oil and saute garlic and onion for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add celery and carrots, saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and tomato sauce, bring to boil, stirring frequently.
4. Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, sweet peas and salt and pepper.
5. Simmer the minestrone soup for 20-25 minutes.
6. Add the zucchini in the last 10 minutes, and the parsley and basil in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
7. The seashell pasta can be added to the soup in the last 8-9 minutes, or alternatively, boiled separately and added to the soup when serving.
8. As it is with most vegetable soups, the minestrone will become even more tasty, if it is left to sit for half an hour and then reheated before serving.
9. Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese over the minestrone soup, if desited.