1. Brush the portabella mushrooms with little oil, season them with salt and pepper and grill them over a char-broiler, about 2-3 minutes per side.
2. In the meantime heat the butter in a large heavy skillet and saute the arugula, red pepper and garlic for 2 minutes.
3. Add the scallops and bacon bits and keep cooking until the scallops are cooked, about 3 minutes.
4. Deglaze with the white wine and season to taste.
5. Drizzle some balsamic reduction in 4 dinner plates and place the grilled portabellas in the center of each one.
6. Top the mushroom cups with equal amount of seared scallops, bacon and vegetables from the skillet.
For the balsamic reduction:
7. Simply boil some balsamic vinegar with the addition of some corn syrup until thick and bubbling in the pan.
I have seen balsamic reduction sold in grocery stores, as well, in case you don't feel like making it.
Everybody knows that scallops and bacon match very well, but most people would think of only bacon-wrapped scallops. This recipe however is different. It matches the wonderful tastes of scallops and bacon in a more subtle way.