1. Melt 1/2 cup of white sugar in a pan until it is light brown, then add the brown sugar and melt it, too.
2. Add about 1/3 cup of boiling water to the melted sugar and bring to a boil until you have dark brown, bubbling syrup.
3. Pour the sugar syrup in eight ramekins.
4. Beat the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar and a pinch of salt, in a mixer at low to medium speed.
5. Gradually add the warm milk and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture in the ramekins, place them in a hotel pan and pour hot water around them to little over the middle of the cups.
7. Bake the Creme Caramel in a preheated oven at 300 F for about an hour or until the creme is set.
8. Do not worry if there is a thin burnt flake on top of the Creme Caramel at the end - this is normal and it will taste even better.
9. Let the custard cups cool down and then refrigerate them until completely cold.
10. Loosen the Creme Caramel from the cups with a small knife, if necessary, and serve it upside down.
The caramelized sugar syrup should run over its sides into the serving plate.