1. In a large heavy saucepan or soup pot, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli and 3/4 of the sliced mushrooms, and saute for 5 minutes more.
3. Deglaze with the white wine and add the chicken stock. If you don't have real chicken stock, you can use cubes, but in order to avoid the monosodium glutamate (msg) that is in virtually all of them, use organic chicken stock cubes.
4. Bring to a brief boil, then reduce the temperature to simmer.
5. In about 5 minutes, when the broccoli is soft enough, blend the soup using a stick blender.
6. Add the other 1/4 of the sliced mushrooms and bring to a boil again.
7. Season the mushroom soup to taste with salt and pepper, and add the cream.
8. Simmer for 5 minutes more. Skim the surface of the soup from the foam that will start to come up, using a ladle. This is normal for soups that have been blended.
9. Serve the mushroom soup in bowls and sprinkle with some freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
This recipe makes a big batch of soup. For a family of 4 you should probably cut the ingredients to half.