12 oz. crab meat; 1/2 cup bread crumbs or cracker meal; 2 tablespoons mayonnaise; 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce; 1 teaspoon coarse mustard; 1 teaspoon chopped parsley; 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce; 2 eggs, lightly beaten; 1 pinch garlic powder; 1 tablespoon scallions, sliced; salt and pepper to taste; 3 tablespoons unsalted butter.
1. Combine all the ingredients, except butter, and mix well.
2. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes in order to mix flavors.
3. Form crab cakes from the mixture; heat the butter in a large skillet at medium heat and cook the crab cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
4. Remove the crab cakes from the skillet and put them on a plate over tissue paper to drain the excess oil.
Alternatively, you can coat each crab cake in breadcrumbs, layer them on a greased baking sheet and cook them in the oven turning the crab cakes only once when the bottom is golden and crispy.
5. Serve the cooked crab cakes with buttermilk dill sauce or tartar sauce.
About the author: George Krumov is a Red Seal certified chef with many years of culinary experience working around the world in Europe, the Middle East, the cruise line industry and North America. In the last two decades he has headed the kitchens of several restaurants in Canada, and ran his own restaurant.