2 (6 oz. each) chicken breasts;
5 cups chicken stock;
2 cups coconut milk;
1 cup heavy cream;
1/4 cup fresh lemongrass, sliced 1/4" thick;
2 tablespoons butter;
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots;
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper;
2 diced carrots (small dice);
1 diced red bell pepper;
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro;
1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated;
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan and saute the shallots, jalapeno pepper, carrots, bell peppers, ginger and lemongrass for 3 minutes.
2. Dice the chicken breasts and add them to the saucepan. Saute until the chicken is nicely seared.
3. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock and heavy cream and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the diced carrots are very soft.
5. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
6. Sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro over the Coconut Chicken soup after serving.
About the author: George Krumov is a Red Seal certified chef with many years of culinary experience working around the world in Europe, the Middle East, the cruise line industry and North America. In the last two decades he has headed the kitchens of several restaurants in Canada, and ran his own restaurant.