Chef George's Paella
Ingredients for 3 portions of paella:
1 cup uncooked rice,
4 sliced sun-dried tomato halves,
1/4 cup snow peas,
1/4 cup white wine,
1 pinch saffron threads,
1 teaspoon minced garlic,
1 tbsp. chopped onion,
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil,
1 cup chicken stock,
6 oz. diced pork loin,
6 oz. tender veal strips,
1 chicken breast, diced,
12 large shrimp,
5 mushrooms, quartered,
12 fresh mussels,
1 diced carrot,
1/4 cup sliced celery,
fresh herbs (thyme, chives, tarragon),
sea salt and pepper to taste.
1. Wash the rice thoroughly and boil it in 1 litre of water with the white wine and saffron.Boil the rice until slightly under-cooked.
2. Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
3. Add the vegetables, meats and seafood to the pan and cook stirring until 2 minutes after the mussels open up.
4. Discard any mussles that remain closed.
5. Strain the rice with a sieve. Add the cooked saffron rice to the pan and stir.
6. Start pouring slowly the chicken stock while stirring.
7. Season the paella to taste and keep stirring until all the stock absorbs into the rice over low heat.
8. Just before the paella is ready, add some fresh tarragon and thyme and let it stand for five minutes.
9. Serve the seafood paella garnished with red lumpfish caviar, if desired.
This paella recipe is my modified version, suitable for a-la-carte restaurant use.
The original paella is cooked differently in a large hot plate over a fire pit.