2 herrings, cleaned and scaled,
1 sliced onion,
1 clove garlic,
1 potato, peeled and sliced,
1 small carrot, sliced,
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes,
1 yellow bell pepper, diced,
1 tablespoon capers,
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
salt and pepper,
white wine (optional).
1. In an ovenproof frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the vegetables.
2. Once they are soft, you can add the white wine, if using.
3. Add the crushed tomato and the herrings to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Take the pan off the stove and put it in a preheated oven, spoon some sauce over the herring and cook for 25 minutes at 400 F.
Cooking tip: You can easily give some Mediterranean flavor to this recipe by adding some artichokes and olives to the sauce for the baked herring.
About the author: George Krumov is a Red Seal certified chef with many years of culinary experience working around the world in Europe, the Middle East, the cruise line industry and North America. In the last two decades he has headed the kitchens of several restaurants in Canada, and ran his own restaurant.