Now, in order to make the perfect seafood paella you first need to make the special sauce called sofrito.
1. For sofrito: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion for 4 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes more.
3. Add the paprika and cook until the sauce thickens.
4. Deglaze with the white wine and add the pomodoro sauce and saffron extract. Simmer the sauce over low heat for 10 minutes and set aside.
1. For the seafood paella: Boil the rice until half-cooked, strain and wash it with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil and butter and saute the garlic and mushrooms briefly.
3. Add the mussels and when they start opening, add the rest of the seafood and chorizo.
4. Saute for 3-4 minutes and add the rice, sofrito sauce and chicken stock.
5. Let the seafood paella simmer for 7-8 minutes at low heat without stirring, until the rice absorbs all the stock.
6. Add some more stock or hot water if needed.
If you are adding more stock to the seafood paella, first check the taste for salt to make sure that the extra stock won't make it very salty.
7. Serve the paella in a paella pan if you have one, or in dinner plates, and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
This seafood paella recipe yields 4 portions of this delectable Spanish dish. Also, you can see my other paella recipe here.