Grilled Portobello Mushrom with Scallops and Bacon
Ingredients for 4 appetizers:
32 scallops (medium size, or about 1 lb.),
4 large portobello mushroom caps,
1/4 cup chopped pancetta or bacon,
1 bell pepper, sliced,
1/2 red onion, sliced,
2 handfuls fresh spinach,
1 tablespoon butter,
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil,
1 clove garlic, crushed,
salt and black pepper to taste,
balsamic reduction, as needed.
1. Brush the portobello mushrooms with little oil, season them with salt and pepper and grill them.
2. Meanwhile, heat little olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chopped bacon for 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and scallops and saute for 2 minutes more or until the scallops are seared.
4. In a separate pan heat the butter and saute the sliced bell pepper and onion.
5. When the pepper is soft add the spinach and saute until wilted.
6. Season the contents of the pans with salt and pepper.
7. Drizzle 4 plates with balsamic reduction and place each portobello mushroom in the center of the plates.
8. Divide the spinach and peppers over each mushroom and top with the pan-seared scallops.
9. For more information on how to cook scallops, visit this page.