Original Italian recipe for Osso Bucco:
1. Dust the veal shanks well with flour and sear them in a pan with the olive oil, until they are completely golden on all sides.
2. Remove the veal shanks from the pan and set them aside.
3. In the same pan add the vegetables and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
4. Deglaze with the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pan with wooden spatula.
5. Add the demi-glace and bay leaves.
6. If using tomato sauce, now would be the time to add it. (I personally prefer the Osso Bucco without tomato in the sauce).
7. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Place the veal shanks in a roasting pan and pour the sauce over them.
9. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 100-120 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F, or until the meat is tender and comes easily off the bone.
10. Serve over tagliatelle, which have been tossed with some of the Osso Bucco sauce.
I have served the Osso Bucco almost always with risotto, but for this photo I served it with tagliatelle pasta.
Also, see my recipe for Lamb Osso Bucco.