1. Grill or bake the sausages and slice them to 1/2-inch chunks.
2. If you bake the sausages, keep the cooking juices to add to the soup later.
3. In a large saucepan add the soup ingredients and boil gently for about 45 minutes or until the lentils are ready.
4. Add more liquid to the lentil soup during cooking if necessary.
5. If you would prefer a lighter soup, you can change the water in which the lentils are boiling after 10-15 minutes.
6. Add the sliced sausage to the soup about 10 minutes before it is ready.
7. Lentil soup is very nutritious and a good source of dietary fibre and iron.
8. It is very popular in the Middle East but is recognized for its nutritional values throughout the world.
9. The most widely used lentils for lentil soup are green, yellow and red lentils. The red lentils tend to be quite small, and cook much faster then the other varieties.
10. Lentil soup is most commonly a vegetarian soup, but can sometimes be cooked with chicken stock or with sausage.