one half chicken (or less),
8 cups chicken stock (or water),
1 cup sliced celery,
1 cup diced carrot - small dice,
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
1 tablespoon butter,
1 medium onion, diced,
1 red bell pepper, diced,
2 garlic cloves, chopped,
1/2 cup wild rice,
a sprig of fresh thyme,
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Remove the skin from the chicken and cut it to small peaces with the bones.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan and saute the chicken with the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the vegetables and saute for another 4 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the temperature to simmer and cook until the chicken is tender.
6. Because the wild rice takes longer to cook, start boiling it in advance separately, and when it is almost ready transfer it to the chicken soup and finish it there.
7. Season the chicken soup to taste and add the fresh thyme at the end.