Bulgarian Spaghetti Recipe - Spaghetti "Po Shopski"
500 gr. spaghetti;
1 medium onion, chopped;
4 cloves garlic, chopped;
1 sweet red pepper, diced;
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped;
500 ml. crushed tomatoes from a jar;
5 tbsp. olive oil;
1 tsp. dried summer savory;
1 tsp. sweet paprika;
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley;
1/4 cup calamata olives, pitted;
200 gr. feta cheese, crumbled;
1 tablespoon salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Bring 2 L. of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the spaghetti according to taste or package instructions.
2. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan and brown lightly the garlic and onion. Add the peppers and cook for 3 minutes more.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes more.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, except feta cheese, and simmer the sauce until reduced. Add some of the water from boiling the spaghetti to the sauce.
5. Strain and toss the spaghetti in the pan with the sauce, and mix well. Serve the spaghetti in four pasta bowls and top each portion with the feta and some more chopped parsley. This Bulgarian pasta recipe's name "po shopski" refers to a region surrounding the city of Sofia.