Arroz Con Pollo - Chicken and Rice Recipe
1 whole chicken, about 3 lb. cut to 8 pieces,
2 1/2 cups rice, uncooked,
1 small onion, chopped,
2 cloves garlic, crushed,
2 cups sofrito sauce (from my Spanish pasta recipe),
2 cups chicken broth,
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil,
1 sprig fresh tarragon, chopped,
1/2 tsp. seven spice,
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and seven-spice.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken and add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet.
3. Saute for 3-4 minutes and add the rice, washed and drained, and saute until the rice turns translucent.
4. Add the chicken broth and sofrito sauce and transfer the rice to a baking dish. Put the seared chicken on top and bake at 400 F until the rice and chicken are cooked, about 35-40 minutes. Add a little more chicken broth if needed.
5. Sprinkle the arroz con pollo with freshly chopped parsley and tarragon and serve.