1. Brown rice is more difficult to prepare for sushi, but it is also much more tasty and healthy. The brown rice is unmilled, therefore the bran layer is preserved with all the vitamins and minerals in it.
2. Place the brown rice with the bit of black rice in a rice cooker and add the water. The black rice is optional, but if you add some it will give the cooked rice much more pleasant color.
3. Cook the rice and let it sit in the pot after cooking for about 10 more minutes before removing the lid.
4. Stir and fan the rice until all the steam dissapears.
5. Add the rice vinegar and sugar and mix well.
6. Let the rice sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before using.
7. Make the sushi rolls or nigiri sushi according to the recipes on this page - Sushi Recipes.
The brown rice sushi is a little bit more chewy and has a slight nutty flavor, but once you try it, it can become your favorite. It is so good that most people don't even use soy sauce for dipping with it. The brown rice sushi roll in the picture above is an inside-out salmon roll with avocado and sprouts, but you can use any ingredients you like, or make into nigiri, futomaki, handrolls, etc.