List Of Foods That Are Bad For Your Brain
The brain is a high maintenance organ that consumes a lot of energy. Usually around 30% of your daily energy requirements are consumed by the brain. Now you know the reason why some people prefer not to think too much. Having said that, not all sources of enery are good for your brain. Foods with high glycemic indexes are a source of energy, but they are terrible for your brain as well as for your body. There is a very strong correlation between mind, body and even spiritual body. Usually foods that are not good for your body are bad for your brain too. Such foods can cause wild blood-sugar swings that make both your body and brain weaker. Foods that are bad your brain can often be recognized by the following characteristics that they have in common: high levels of refined sugar or corn syrup, white flour, trans fat, containing food additives such as monosodium glutamate and aspartame, deep fried foods.
Below is my list of some foods that are bad for your brain:
1. Processed foods - those usually lacking in nutritional value and are full of preservatives, food additives, msg or other forms of glutamates, artificial flavors and fat.
2. Foods containing high fructose corn syrup or lots of refined sugar such as pop, all sweets, some fruit juices and factory-made desserts. Such foods are causing your blood sugar levels to rise high temporarily, then crush - putting stress on your pancrease and causing mood swings.
3. Deep-fried foods. The oils being used for deep frying are not usually good for your brain. Unless you deep-fry foods yourself using healthy oils, such as olive oil or coconut oil, it is advisable not to eat deep-fried foods.
4. Simple carbohydrates such as white flour, starchy or sugary foods are not a good source of energy for your brain.
5. Alcohol, energy drinks and energy snack bars. These three amigos have more potential to kill brain cells than to boost your CPU speed.
6. Foods containing monosodium glutamate (msg), artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, hydrolized vegetable proteins (a form of msg) and artificial flavoring. These ingredients are known as neurotoxins. By over-exciting your brain they cause the dying of tens of thousands of brain cells. This isn't something that you can notice, though. The brain doesn't hurt in the process.
7. Foods containing unnatural amounts of fluoride. Yes, the same fluoride that they put in the toothpaste. I won't go into details, but just giving you the heads-up so you can research it further.
8. Toxins contained in cosmetics such as sunscreens, parfums, deodorants, shampoos, hair sprays, etc. Avoid those unless you buy them from a health store, and even then research all the ingredients. There are a lot of "green-washed" products.
Ok, cosmetics are not a food, but they still go in your body through your skin, so it is not a bad idea to address this, too.
Be conscious about your food choices and eating habits. The human mind has developed thus far because of the wholesome, natural foods that our ancestors consumed. Many present day foods don't contribute for the development of your mind, exactly the opposite. Your brain prefers a constant, steady supply of energy from natural sources. Find out what the good sources for brain energy are, in my follow-up article here.